Recipe by ~Nimz~
I got this recipe from one of my Better Homes & Garden cook books. My family loved it the first time I made it. I just estimated the prep time. Try it.
- 1 lb dry navy beans or 1 lb dry great northern bean (2 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄4 lb bacon or 1⁄4 lb salt pork, cut up
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup molasses or 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse beans.
- In a 4 1/2 quart Dutch oven combine beans and 8 cups cold water.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- (Or, skip bioling the water and soak beans overnight in a covered pan.) Drain and rinse beans.
- In the same pan combine beans and 8 cups fresh water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 1 1/4 hours or till tender, stirring occasionally.
- Drain beans, reserving liquid.
- In a 2 1/2 quart casserole or bean pot combine the beans, bacon and onion.
- Stir in 1 cup of the reserved bean liquid, the molasses or maple syrup, brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Bake, covered, in a 300 degree oven about 2 1/2 hours or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- If necessary, add additional reserved bean liquid.