Recipe by anabellcooks
A delicious breakfast bread. This recipe uses ground flax seed which can be bought in most large grocery stores in the health food section. Store remaining flax seed in the refridgerator. Makes two loaves.
Top Review by joyallison_9
I love and adore this recipe. I have made it many times for different occasions. Instead of using a bread pan, I put the batter into muffin tins. I still bake at 350, but cut the baking time to 30 minutes. I have taken these muffins to story time at the Library and the muffins are always gobbled up. They are easy for little hands to grab and eat. The only other change I make to the recipe is to use Whole Wheat Flour. The Prarie Gold Wheat four from Wheat Montana is light and fabulous. Thanks for this recipe.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 20 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter, add sugar and flax seed.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift dry ingredients together, add alternately with buttermilk.
- Add vanilla and bananas and blend.
- Mix in blueberries and chocolate chips.
- Bake in two loaf pans at 350º for 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes or until done.
- When done, bread will turn loose from sides of pan and knife inserted in middle will be clean.