Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from a local Vietnamese restaurant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons nuoc nam
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lb pork chop, pounded thin (cut 1/4 inch thick)
- 6 cups cooked white rice
- nuoc cham sauce, for serving (Vietnamese chili-garlic sauce)
- 1Heat 1/2 cup of sugar in a 1-qt heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, swirling pan often, until sugar dissolves and turns to liquid caramel.
- 2Remove from heat; add 1/4 cup boiling water. Return pan to heat; cook, swirling pan gently, until caramel dissolves in water.
- 3Remove from heat and let cool.
- 4Transfer to a food processor along with remaining sugar, shallots, lemongrass, oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, pepper, and garlic; puree until smooth.
- 5Place pork chops in a 9″ × 13″ baking dish and pour over puree; cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- 6Heat a 12″ cast-iron grill pan over high heat. Working in batches, add chops; cook, turning once, until charred in spots and cooked through, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately with rice and chili-garlic sauce.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Suon Nuong (Vietnamese Pork Chops)
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 772.4
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 1275.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 118.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 31.7 g
- Protein 32.5 g