Prep 2 hrs 50 mins
Cook 50 mins
I've always loved rye bread, and this is a good one. Especially spread with a bit of cream cheese. It's also good served with Kesäkeitto (Finnish Summer Vegetable Soup). Prep time also includes time needed for the dough to rest. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in brown sugar, oil, salt and 1 cup of the rye flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough all-purpose flour to make the dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto surface that has been sprinkled with the remaining rye flour. Cover; let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- Punch down dough; shape into a round, slightly flat loaf.
- Place in greased 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pan. Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake until loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 40 to 50 minutes. Immediately remove from pan. Brush top of loaf with butter; cool on wire rack.
- Note: Yeast Equivalents are One package = 2 1/4 teaspoons = 1/4 ounce.
This bread is the best. My DH doesnt like store bought finnish bread,they put too much sugar in theirs. I mixed 3 tsp.instant potatoes in the water till dissolved. The bread had great flavor and texture. Went wonderful with the #91735 I made for supper.I will be making this bread often...
Excellent flavor with nice crust and soft/chewy center. Perfect served with cheese. I first just mixed the yeast, sugar, potato water and 1 cup of rye flour, mixed it, and let it rest for 30 minutes, then added the oil, salt and remaining flour, and finished the recipe following the directions starting at step 4. It took a bit more flour and quite a bit more kneading time for my conditions, and to get the right elasticity. I will add this to my favorite breads cookbook, and will make it many more times in the future.