1/2 Photos of Suomalaisruisleipä (Finnish Rye Bread)
3 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 50 mins
I've always loved rye bread, and this is a good one. Especially spread with a bit of cream cheese. It's also good served with Kesäkeitto (Finnish Summer Vegetable Soup). Prep time also includes time needed for the dough to rest. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in brown sugar, oil, salt and 1 cup of the rye flour.
- 2Beat until smooth.
- 3Stir in enough all-purpose flour to make the dough easy to handle.
- 4Turn dough onto surface that has been sprinkled with the remaining rye flour. Cover; let rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- 6Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- 7Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- 8Punch down dough; shape into a round, slightly flat loaf.
- 9Place in greased 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pan. Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- 10Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake until loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 40 to 50 minutes. Immediately remove from pan. Brush top of loaf with butter; cool on wire rack.
- 11Note: Yeast Equivalents are One package = 2 1/4 teaspoons = 1/4 ounce.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Suomalaisruisleipä (Finnish Rye Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.1
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 876.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 8.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: