- 1 (9 ounce) bag pitted prunes, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Smart Balance light butter spread, softened
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- raspberry jam, melted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Bring prunes and water to a boil in a small saucepan; heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is very thick and liquid has been absorbed; let cool.
- Spray a 9 inch springform pan liberally with nonstick cooking spray then coat with 2 tablespoons sugar, shaking out excess.
- Beat together remaining sugar, butter spread, milk, extract, egg whites and prunes in a medium bowl for 3 minutes on high speed with an electric mixter.
- Beat in dry ingredients on low speed, then beat for a few minutes on high to make a light batter.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To serve, drizzle slices with melted raspberry jam.