Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A fresh, bright, light cold bean salad. From a neighbour of my friend, Sunshine.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans bean medley (any type of bean you like, cannelini, green or yellow waxed, chick peas, etc.)
- 1 cup freshly blanched green beans (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 English cucumber (if you substitute garden cucumber, please seed and peel)
- 1 -2 red pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 -2 stalk celery
- fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil (anything BUT E.V.O.O. (extra virgin olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons celery seeds (or more to taste)
- black pepper, 30-40 grinds (MUST be freshly ground)
- Drain and rinse beans. Place in bowl.
- Evenly dice all vegetables and finely chop parsley. Add to bowl.
- In separate container, mix dressing ingredients.
- Pour over salad bowl and toss until thoroughly mixed.
- NOTE: Though it can be served upon preparation, its taste improves upon standing. Will keep for days and days in the fridge.