Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is a really good Jello Salad! This is a recipe out of our family cookbook that my cousin Vicki put together as a labor of love for her mom (dad's sister) for her 71st birthday in 1997. (Times are approximate, as I haven't timed how long this takes to make).
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes orange Jell-O
- 4 cups water
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 3 bananas, sliced and sprinkled w/
- lemon juice
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Cool Whip
- flaked coconut (optional)
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set aside.
- Dissolve Jello in 2 c hot water.
- Add 2 c cold water.
- Pour into 9 x 13 inch pan.
- When almost congealed, add one can of drained crushed pineapple.
- Add sliced bananas and miniature marshmallows; chill.
- In small saucepan, cook pineapple juice with 1/2 c sugar, 1 T cornstarch, and well-beaten egg.
- Cook until thick enough to spread; cool.
- Then add cream cheese and whip together.
- Spread on congealed Jello.
- Top with Cool Whip.
- Sprinkled with flaked coconut if desired.
PERFECT!! This is a great fruit salad for a hot summer day...so cool and refreshing. The combination of pineapple, bananas, sour cream, and coconut goes perfectly with the orange flavored jello. (You just can't beat those "old-time" family favorites). Thanks Teresa for sharing this. :-)
I made this sugar-free and it turned out great. Even the non-jello salad eaters tried it and liked it. I am emailing this to my Mom because I know that she'll like it too. Thanks for posting.