Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Citrus taste, combined with almonds, celery, and onions- but no added salt- make this side dish a new classic. Try this heart healthy recipe with fish. The recipe comes from HeartHealth.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups celery, finely chopped,with leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- Heat oil in medium saucepan; add celery and onions and saute until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add water, juices, and hot sauce; bring to a boil; stir in rice and bring back to boil, let stand covered until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in almonds,Serve immediately.
We are citrus "Fanatic"s! I thought the flavor was perfect. Having so much celery and onion with less rice made the dish unique and very satisfying. We used Jasmine rice (since the recipe called for long-grain white rice) but next time we will make it with brown rice. We served curried salmon with this rice and all of the flavors held up nicely against the coconut and spices. A+
very good flavor. i didn't use hot sauce though. easy to prepare
This recipe was very easy to make. You can really taste the orange juice in the finished product. My family, however, did not like it. Not that there is anything wrong with the recipe-I wish we had liked it because it was easy and did exactly what I expected it to do cookingwise-we found the taste too orangey for us and just a little bitter.