Recipe by HokiesMom
I cannot remember where I found this recipe but this is one of the first pasta salads I made after moving out on my own and my Mom gave me rave reviews. I use asparagus in the spring when it is fresh and the broccoli when I cannot find nice fresh asparagus.
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice (reserve juice)
- 4 cups cooked pasta, twisted noodles
- 2 cups broccoli florets (or asparagus tips see note at bottom of instructions)
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup vidalia onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Combine all salad ingredients together in large salad bowl.
- For dressing - Combine all ingredients together and whisk together well.
- Toss salad with the dressing and make sure the salad is well-coated.
- Chill for 1-2 hours prior to serving for best results.
- Note: When using the asparagus tips, it is best to blanch them approximately 2 minutes in a steamer prior to combining with the salad.