Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
These are my favorite orange cookies. They are different from most recipes because they call for orange juice concentrate rather than just orange juice. They pack alot of pure orange flavor and are frosted with an orange buttercream frosting. Sunshine in a cookie!
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 -2 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
- 1 -2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup milk (approximately)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add rest of ingredients and mix well.
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400* for 8-10 minutes or until just barely browned around the rim. Allow to cool; then frost.
- Cream sugar and butter together.
- Add orange juice and zest; blend well. I start with the smaller amount than add more to increase orange flavor to desired level.
- Add milk a little at a time until frosting is spreadable.
Perfect... just like from the Itallian bakeries! Soft, moist and an extra kick of orange. I did make 1/2 of the frosting recipe and had plenty of frosting. I made two batches, 1 orange and 1 lemon, using lemonade concentrate and lemon rind... AWESOME! Thanks!
I've been looking for this recipe for a while. These are so tender and delicious! These kind of remind me of the Italian cookies we get. Would be great with other flavors; even just vanilla with some sprinkles would be wonderful! Great cookie!
We had some frosted orange cookies from a bakery about 100 miles from where we live and have been searching for a comparable recipe ever since. This is it. Great taste and texture. My sweet tooth had an orgasm. Thanks akgrown.