Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 egg whites
- confectioners' sugar (to garnish)
- orange strip (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Spray a 6 cup decorative or plain tube pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Dust with flour.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, orange juice and grated orange peel.
- Mix well.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, oil, and egg yolk until crumbs form.
- Stir in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Beat in remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Place on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- Turn cake out onto rack and cool completely.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar; garnish with orange peel strips.