Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe on the back of a can of evaporated milk. I like to put in a little more ham than the recipe calls indicates.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup ham, jullienned
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- Saute onion in butter in large saucepan.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Gradually add evaporated milk and water.
- Cover over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in shredded cheese and mustard until cheese melts.
- Add julienned ham, hot drained macaroni and chopped green pepper.
- Heat for 1 to 3 minutes.
Sunshine ham and pasta is great, I was surprised to find this recipe online actually. My grandmother has been making this for years, but she uses spam instead of ham. This alternative tastes really good, either way it is a delicious idea.
A delicious and easy way to use up some leftover ham. Kinda like home made mac n cheese with ham added. Everyone enjoyed it. I just felt it needed a little more flavor, but can't put my finger on what. It's a definite repeat for me.