Recipe by Pastryismybiz
Sponge cake with fresh orange juice and zest. Light, refreshing and moist. Creamy frosting with hint of orange.
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 large egg yolks, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange juice, for frosting
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 cup egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Sift the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder,salt together in a large bowl.
- Making a well in the center of the flour mixture.add the oil, egg yolks, 3/4 cup of the orange juice and 2 tablespoons of the zest.
- Whisk until creamy and set aside.
- In the mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter just until combined. There will be some flecks of flour; do not stir or over mix.
- Pour into 10" tube pan and bake for 55 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 and continue to bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes clean; about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Invert pan and cool completely.
- Unmold cake by running a knife around the pan sides.
- Combine the butter, cream and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoon of orange juice and 1 tablespoon zest in a mixing bowl .
- Add the powdered sugar gradually using the mixer setting on medium until frosting is fluffy.Add additional cream if needed to adjust frosting consistency.
- Frost cake. Decorating suggestion: Roll out gumdrops for flower petals and pipe stems with decorator frosting.