Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Tastes like it's name.......
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup apricot brandy or 1⁄2 cup orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 cup sour cream (no low fat)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons apricot brandy, see instructions
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour a 10" tube pan with removable bottom.
- In a bowl mix sugar, flour, salt, baking soda, brandy, sour cream, butter, eggs, extracts and zest.
- Beat until very well incorporated but don't overmix, scraping the bowl several times.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes and up to 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Check for doneness after 1 hour 20 minutes baking time and every 5 minutes after that by inserting toothpick into the cake. When it comes out clean, remove cake immediately.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- Invert and remove from the pan onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely.
- Add the orange juice to the confectioners' sugar and add apricot brandy 1 tbsp at the time, until you have a thickly flowing consistency.
- Add just a squeeze of lemon juice to freshen and lighten the taste.
- Pour over the cake.