Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This sounds so delicious! I love coconut! From "Heart of the Palms"
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 egg whites
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 fresh coconut, grated
- Cream throughly the butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and add to mixture, alternating with milk, ending with flour.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9" cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans.
- Cool before frosting.
- Store in cool place or refrigerate.
- Makes 1 cake.
- For Frosting:.
- Combine sugar, cream of tartar and boling water in 3 quart saucepan.
- With the aid of a candy thermometer that doesn't touch bottom of the pan, cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees and makes a long thread with a spoon.
- Turn to a low heat when mixture begins to boil.
- The longer the mixture cooks the less likely it is to be grainy.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl until stiff but not dry.
- Slowly pour the hot syrup , in a fine stream, into the egg whites, beating constantly.
- Add vanilla and almond flavoring and beat until frosting is cool enough to spread.
- Spread on tops and sides of cake layers, sprinkling with coconut.
- Join layers together.