Recipe by Heather3271
From the magazine's August 2007 edition: "Karen Schmitt, Phoenix - Schmitt created this quick one-pan dinner with the colors of an Arizona desert sunset in mind." Nutrition facts: 462 cal, 99 fat cal, 33g protein, 11g fat, 1.7g sat fat, 57g carb, 4.6g fiber, 882mg sodium, 142mg chol.
Top Review by Happy Harry #2
Made this for my son and his family. I used dried garbanzo as it helps to control sodium content. It was well received by them but I personally felt that it needed some onion as the scallions have a different taste and were only used for garnish. I also suggest using regular spaghetti as the thin kind (I used angel) seemed to get lost in the dish. Also 2 tbls of oil was enough.
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 226.79 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2.46 ml red chili pepper flakes
- 411.06 g can whole canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 (822.13 g) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 425.24 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
- 340.19 g thin spaghetti
- 680.38 g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 9.85 ml fresh oregano, chopped
- 14.79-29.58 ml lemon juice
- 4 green onions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 14.79 ml flat leaf parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large frying pan with a tight-fitting lid, cook olive oil, mushrooms, and salt uncovered over high heat, stirring until mushrooms start to brown slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium-high, add garlic and chile flakes, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes.
- Break pasta into 2-inch pieces. Add pasta to vegetable mixture, cover, and simmer until pasta is cooked on the outside but still raw in the center, about 4 minutes. Add shrimp, cover, and cook until shrimp and pasta are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in oregano and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Sprinkle with remaining lemon juice to taste. Garnish with green onions, parmesan, and parlsey. Serve hot.