Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the magazine's August 2007 edition: "Karen Schmitt, Phoenix - Schmitt created this quick one-pan dinner with the colors of an Arizona desert sunset in mind." Nutrition facts: 462 cal, 99 fat cal, 33g protein, 11g fat, 1.7g sat fat, 57g carb, 4.6g fiber, 882mg sodium, 142mg chol.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
- 3⁄4 lb thin spaghetti
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 green onions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- In a large frying pan with a tight-fitting lid, cook olive oil, mushrooms, and salt uncovered over high heat, stirring until mushrooms start to brown slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium-high, add garlic and chile flakes, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes.
- Break pasta into 2-inch pieces. Add pasta to vegetable mixture, cover, and simmer until pasta is cooked on the outside but still raw in the center, about 4 minutes. Add shrimp, cover, and cook until shrimp and pasta are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in oregano and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Sprinkle with remaining lemon juice to taste. Garnish with green onions, parmesan, and parlsey. Serve hot.