Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the magazine's August 2007 edition: "Catherine High, Bothell, WA - High's hearty sandwiches pack beautifully for toting along on a picnic or to the beach." Nutrition facts: 398 cal, 261 fat cal, 20g protein, 29g fat, 8.5g sat fat, 22g carb, 1.2g fiber, 1,449mg sodium, 64mg chol. Note: cook time is pressing time.
- 1 loaf ciabatta (about 8 x 14 x 2 inches)
- 118.29 ml tapenade, store-bought black (or green)
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 113.39 g genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 113.39 g cold cuts, thinly sliced (spicy Italian cuts such as coppa, capocolla, or hot salami)
- 85.04 g prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 226.79 g mozzarella cheese, fresh, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, chopped
- 6 leaf fresh basil, torn into bite-sized pieces
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Cut ciabatta in half lengthwise. Spread bottom half with tapenade. Drizzle cut side of top half with vineegar and oil.
- Arrange salami on top of tapenade, followed by cold cuts, prosciutto, mozzarella, red pepper, and basil. Sprinkle with pepper to taste and place top half of loaf on filling.
- Wrap sandwich thoroughly with plastic wrap. Place a heavy cutting board or other flat object on top of sandwich and weight it down with a 2- to 4-lb. weight (such as a large pot or six-pack of soda). Let sit 30 minutes to 2 hours. Unwrap, cut into eighths, and serve.