1 hr 30 mins
From the magazine's August 2007 edition: "A crisp streusel topping studded with walnuts and pecans perfectly accents tender, sweet peaches." Prep/cook time = 2 hrs + at least 2-1/2 hrs cooling time. Nutrition facts: 491 cals, 243 cals from fat, 5.5g protein, 27g fat (12g sat fat), 59g carb (3.4g fiber), 354mg sodium, 45mg chol.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely ground in a food processor
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely ground in a food processor
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 lbs peaches, ripe, peeled and sliced (about 8)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (approx.)
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca (see Notes)
- 1 pie crust (1/2 of our recipe "Sunset's Best Basic Pie Crust Dough" posted separately)
- 1Put an oven rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together walnuts, pecans, flour, brown sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Add butter and stir with a fork until mixture forms small clumps (break apart any large clumps with your fingers). Set aside.
- 2Gently mix peaches, sugar, and tapioca in a large bowl. Taste and add additional sugar if you like. Set aside.
- 3Dust your counter and rolling pin with flour. With short strokes from center outward, roll dough into a 12-inch circle (about 1/8 inch thick), turning 90 degrees after every 3 or 4 passes of the rolling pin to keep it from sticking. Transfer dough to a 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate, letting it fall into place. (If you push or stretch the dough, it will shrink back when baked.) Trim overhang to 1/2 inch, tuck edge under, and crimp edge. Pile peaches into crust, then top with streusel.
- 4Put pan on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until topping and bottom crust are well browned, about 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature, at least 2-1/2 hours, before serving.
- 5NOTES: "If your peaches are exceptionally juicy, toss with an additional tbsp of tapioca. To peel peaches, make a small X on the bottom of the fruit, then plunge into boiling water for 30 seconds. Once cool, the skin will pull free.".
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunset's Peach Streusel Pie
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 452.8
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 206.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 30.9 g
- Protein 5.5 g