Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the magazine's August 2007 edition: "A crisp streusel topping studded with walnuts and pecans perfectly accents tender, sweet peaches." Prep/cook time = 2 hrs + at least 2-1/2 hrs cooling time. Nutrition facts: 491 cals, 243 cals from fat, 5.5g protein, 27g fat (12g sat fat), 59g carb (3.4g fiber), 354mg sodium, 45mg chol.
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, finely ground in a food processor
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely ground in a food processor
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 lbs peaches, ripe, peeled and sliced (about 8)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (approx.)
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca (see Notes)
- 1 pie crust (1/2 of our recipe "Sunset's Best Basic Pie Crust Dough" posted separately)
- Put an oven rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together walnuts, pecans, flour, brown sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Add butter and stir with a fork until mixture forms small clumps (break apart any large clumps with your fingers). Set aside.
- Gently mix peaches, sugar, and tapioca in a large bowl. Taste and add additional sugar if you like. Set aside.
- Dust your counter and rolling pin with flour. With short strokes from center outward, roll dough into a 12-inch circle (about 1/8 inch thick), turning 90 degrees after every 3 or 4 passes of the rolling pin to keep it from sticking. Transfer dough to a 9-inch deep-dish glass pie plate, letting it fall into place. (If you push or stretch the dough, it will shrink back when baked.) Trim overhang to 1/2 inch, tuck edge under, and crimp edge. Pile peaches into crust, then top with streusel.
- Put pan on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until topping and bottom crust are well browned, about 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature, at least 2-1/2 hours, before serving.
- NOTES: "If your peaches are exceptionally juicy, toss with an additional tbsp of tapioca. To peel peaches, make a small X on the bottom of the fruit, then plunge into boiling water for 30 seconds. Once cool, the skin will pull free.".