1 hr 30 mins
From the magazine's August 2007 edition: "Any berry that grows on thorny canes or trailing vines, called brambles, is considered a brambleberry (raspberries and blackberries are two examples). Mix berries with some sugar and a bit of thickener (flour and tapioca in this case), and you have a very simple pie. Prep/cook time = 1-1/2 hours plust at least 3 hours of cooling time. Nutrition facts: 458 cal, 215 cal from fat, 5.2 g protein, 24g fat, 10g sat fat, 58g carb, 4.8g fiber, 854mg sodium 31mg chol.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) double crust pie crusts (see our "Sunset's Best Basic Pie Crust Dough" posted separately)
- 5 cups brambleberries (raspberries, blackberries, marionberries, or other brambleberries)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (approx.)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- whipped cream (optional) or ice cream (optional)
- 1Put an oven rack on the lowest rung, and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly dust your counter and rolling pin with flour, then unwrap one disk of dough. With short strokes from center outward, roll dough into a 12-inch circle (about 1/8-inch thick), turning 90 degrees after every 3 or 4 passes of the rolling pin to keep it from sticking. Transfer dough to a 9-inch pie pan, letting it fall into place. (If you push or stretch the dough, it will shrink back when baked.) Trim overhang to 1/4 inch. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 15 minutes and up to overnight. Meanwhile, roll second disk into an 11-inch circle. Transfer to a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 15 minutes and up to overnight.
- 2While crusts chill, put berries in a large bowl. Sprinkle with flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, and salt. Stir gently until berries are well coated. Taste and add more granulated sugar if you like.
- 3Pour berry mixture into chilled bottom crust and dot with butter. Unwrap top crust, and lay over pie. Fold bottom crust edge up over edge of top crust, and crimp edges together. Cut several vents in top crust, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp sugar. Put pie on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until crust is browned and filling is bubbling, 60 to 75 minutes. (Cover edges with foil if they become too dark before middle of top is nicely browned.).
- 4Let pie cool until bottom of pie pan reaches room temperature, at least 3 hours. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if you like.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunset's Brambleberry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.1
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 560.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: