Recipe by Jezski
NO seafood in here! Like potatoes? Like carrots? Like them together? Not sure? Try this recipe and find out. I did, and we do. An old favorite.
Top Review by piseag
This dish was okay, but I think it needs a little tweaking. The presentation is beautiful, but I found the carrot flavour overwhelmed the dish. If I were to make this again, I would cut the amount of carrots in half and do thicker layers of potato. (To be fair, I used my food processor to slice everything--as I normally do with scalloped potatoes--but perhaps I would have got more potato flavour if I'd cut things by hand.) I think I might try adding some herbs as well--parsley or rosemary could work very nicely. I would also like a creamier sauce--but perhaps this is my fault as I used 1% milk. I baked this in a medium but deep casserole and so had to turn up the heat and increase the time. I baked it for 90 minutes at 400 and I think it could have stayed in a little longer yet. This did go nicely with the roasted ham I served it with.
- 6 medium potatoes, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (don't leave this out!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Alternate layers of potatoes with carrots in greased casserole. Make white sauce of butter, flour, seasonings and milk.
- Pour sauce over veggies. Sprinkle with brown sugar. (I usually just mix it in with the white sauce ingredients.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Uncover for the last 10 minutes.