Recipe by bojmom
My mom used to make this when I was younger. I haven't made it before but I remember it being delicious.
Top Review by Margie99
We loved this. I think the concept would be great for having friends over because everyone could make thier own bowl. I made a simple broth for the kids to use and use this recipe minus the hot chilies for our broth.
- 1⁄2 lb vermicelli
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter, creamy
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot chili oil or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried hot red chilies
- 2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 to 5 quart pan bring 3 quarts water to boiling on high heat. Add vermicelli and cook, uncovered until tender to bite.
- Drain and cover pasta with cold water. When cool, drain pasta and divide into 4 to 6 serving portions.
- In the same pan combine broth, soy sauce, peanut butter, sugar, vinegar and chili oil, and stirring occasionally with a whisk, bring to a boil on high heat.
- Add sesame oil and pour broth into a soup bowls. While broth is very hot invite each person to add a portion of pasta and desired condiments to soup bowl.
- Condiments: hard cooked eggs, sliced; cooked ham cut into strips; tiny cooked shrimp; large carrot shredded, cucumber thin sliced, edible pea pods; green onions; water chestnuts; and BBQ pork (purchased from chinese food takeout store).