Recipe by Ariella
Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine: "Mashed sweet potatoes keep these biscuits tender and low in fat, plus eliminate the need for eggs or dairy. For a more elegant look, roll out the dough and cut with a 2-inch round cutter." VT said the recipe yields 12 biscuits, but I got 12. Maybe my golf balls are smaller than theirs?
Top Review by Nikoma
These are so yummy! I didn't have orange juice so I used juice from a can of mandarin oranges haha and a tiny bit of orange extract. These are PERFECTLY sweet for a breakfast treat. And since I mixed the dry, and the sweet potato mixtures together last night, I just threw these together this morning in no time!
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato (2 small baked sweet potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine sweet potatoes, oil, syrup, orange juice, and salt in large bowl. Sift in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar.
- Cut dry ingredients into sweet potato mixture with fork until mixture comes together. Stir in 2 to 3 Tbs. water, or enough to get dough to hold together.
- Drop golf ball–size rounds of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned and firm to the touch. Serve warm.