Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine: "Mashed sweet potatoes keep these biscuits tender and low in fat, plus eliminate the need for eggs or dairy. For a more elegant look, roll out the dough and cut with a 2-inch round cutter." VT said the recipe yields 12 biscuits, but I got 12. Maybe my golf balls are smaller than theirs?
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato (2 small baked sweet potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 teaspoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine sweet potatoes, oil, syrup, orange juice, and salt in large bowl. Sift in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar.
- Cut dry ingredients into sweet potato mixture with fork until mixture comes together. Stir in 2 to 3 Tbs. water, or enough to get dough to hold together.
- Drop golf ball–size rounds of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned and firm to the touch. Serve warm.
These are so yummy! I didn't have orange juice so I used juice from a can of mandarin oranges haha and a tiny bit of orange extract. These are PERFECTLY sweet for a breakfast treat. And since I mixed the dry, and the sweet potato mixtures together last night, I just threw these together this morning in no time!
I loved this! I made it with whole wheat flour and used extra juice instead of water, and served them with honey. I couldn't stop eating them and even my picky husband thought they were pretty tasty. I only needed one sweet potato (they are pretty large where I shop). This was fast, easy, cheap, vegan, and VERY delicious! Thank you for the recipe!