Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Like all my recipes, this corn chowder is vegan and uses only fresh, whole food ingredients! I put this together because I wanted a delicious, thick, creamy slow cooker recipe for chilly fall days. It has become a family favorite, and is great for potlucks!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 vegan bouillon cubes (I use Edward and Sons)
- 6 -10 fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, drained or 1 1⁄2 cups garbanzo beans
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 lb organic frozen corn
- Add first three ingredients to a large slow cooker, layered in the order they are listed (potatoes on the bottom, then onions and pepper on top).
- Add the next ten ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth. Pour blended mixture over the potatoes, onions, and peppers. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- About one hour before you wish to serve the chowder, put the remaining two cups almond milk and the raw cashew pieces in your blender. Add several ladles full of the simmering chowder (about 3-4 cups worth), making sure to get lots of potatoes. Blend mixture until completely smooth (for Blendtec, use the “soup” button), then pour back into the slow cooker.
- Add the frozen corn, stir, cover, and turn up to high for one hour. Serve with fresh, crusty bread or rolls!
- NOTES: 1) You may substitute 3 cups of veggie broth and omit the water and vegan bouillon cubes. 2) If you are not concerned about calories or fat content, canned full fat coconut milk makes a wonderful substitute for the almond milk in this recipe (I do not recommend rice milk because it is too thin). 3) For a smaller slow cooker, you may half this recipe.
This corn chowder is to die for!! It is so creamy and hearty and delicious!!! It is super easy to make too! I can't eat dairy, and we love to eat healthy whole food recipes. I have been wanting to find an amazing, vegan, whole food recipe and THIS IS IT!! My two year old devoured it as well!!! We will definitely be making this a lot!!
Easy to make and absolutely delicious!!