This light, refreshing salad is a great start to any Japanese meal. I enjoy this fresh salad as a starter to a sushi dinner or alone for a light lunch. This is also a basic recipe to prepare.
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 dash soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1⁄4 lb shrimp (cooked)
- 1⁄4 lb crabmeat (or artificial crab)
- 1⁄2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 250 g of thin rice noodles (harasume)
- 2 green onions, sliced on a sharp diagonal
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and set aside.
- Bring water to a boil and put in noodles, Stir noodles for 3-4 minutes until cooked . Drain the noodles in a colander and cool under running cold water, drain as much water off you can.
- Mix cooked cooled noodles, green onions, cucumber, shrimp and crab meat in a bowl. Pour marinade over noodles. Mix well, cover and refrigerate allowing the flavors to combine (just an hour or two). Serve cold.