Recipe by TammieV
This is a 19 Century recipe added in response to a thread. The mincemeat for this recipe must sit up for at least a month before use.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef, cooked
- 1 lb suet, ground
- 2 lbs sugar
- 5 lbs tart apples (parer,cored and chopped)
- 2 lbs muscat raisins (blond)
- 1 lb currants
- 1 lb sultana raisin (dark)
- 1⁄2 lb citron, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb orange rind, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1 quart boiled cider (about)
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix beef, suet, sugar, fruit, spices and cider in a large kettle.
- Cover and simmer, stirring frequently for 2 hours.
- Add more cider if needed.
- Stir in brandy to taste.
- Pack into sterilized 1 qt.
- jars, seal securely, store in a cool place and allow to mellow at least 1 month before using.
- Makes 5 qts.
- To make pie: line a 9 inch pie pan with pastry.
- Spoon in enough mincemeat to fill.
- Cover with top crust.
- Seal edges and slash top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 425 degrees til golden brown.