Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful summer mini dessert now that the lemons are in season. I found this recipe on a hand out at Fry's Store.
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 -5 tablespoons ice water
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon peel, grated
- For tart shells: In a stand mixer or working with a pastry cutter or two forks mix butter, flour and salt until dough becomes crumbly. Add water 2 tablespoons at a time until consistency is smooth, Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Roll out dough on cutting board and cut out circles to fit the size muffin or cupcake pan you are using. Place into greased cupcake or muffin pan, pressing sides of to fit (I use a mini muffin pan and these make wonderful mini dessert).
- Preheat oven to 400°F Combine all filling ingredients in a heavy, non-aluminum saucepan, Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until butter is melted and mixture thickens slightly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and cool. Pour filling into dough cups and back 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool, than top with whipped topping. Refrigerate any leftover. Makes 8-10 tarts reg. size or 12-14 mini tarts.
- Serve with a drop of whipped topping.