Recipe by Kitty Z
This started out as leftovers, but looked so pretty cooking up, and tasted so nice, that I had to post it here. The ribboned carrot turns plain old cabbage beautifully golden, hence the "Sunny" part of the recipe. Sauerkraut gives this a bit of vinegary bite that is a great match for main dishes with sweet sauces or marinades.
Top Review by Heartspell
This was very good! The entire Family Circus enjoyed it. I love cutting the carrots into ribbons. I did make some changes and additions though. I posted it as #451085, but listed yours as well. Thank you so much!
- 1⁄2 small cabbage
- 4 large carrots, peeled
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sauerkraut, mostly drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Core cabbage and cut into 1 cm wide ribbons.
- Use a vegetable peeler to make long ribbons from the carrots (the cores will be difficult to ribbon; reserve for other use).
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add caraway seeds and cook for a few seconds, until their color starts to change.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add cabbage. Cover and cook 5 minutes, until cabbage is slightly softened (but still crisp).
- Mix in carrots and sauerkraut, re-cover, and cook until carrot ribbons are tender (one to two minutes). If there is excess liquid, cook uncovered in this step, until liquid is evaporated.