Recipe by grantg
For 42 years there was a family-run Italian restaurant called "Sunny Italy" in N. Wilkesboro, NC, a favorite of many... sadly the restaurant closed when Granny Daisy's health declined. (http://www.therecordofwilkes.com/newsa.asp?edition_number=517&pg=F) For those who have never had the pleasure of eating there, here is one reason this restaurant was so special. An extra little twist to creamy Italian dressing on an Iceberg wedge served with Captain's Wafers. I found the recipe shared here (http://cookingbythewater.wordpress.com/2011/12/29/sunny-italy-salad-dressing/). This dressing is delicious as a veggie dip as well. Nowadays a Roselli grandson & his wife run "Kitchen Roselli" in East Bend, NC, and offering delicious menu selections based on Granny Daisy's recipes. My version of SID is more diabetic friendly and not quite as sweet as the shared version.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sucralose artificial sweetener
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Salad Supreme dry seasoning (Romano cheese & spices blend by McCormick)
- 11 ounces creamy Italian dressing (I use Kraft)
Directions See How It's Made
- In glass 2-cup measuring pitcher bring water to boil in a microwave on high (takes less than 2 minutes).
- Add sucralose sweetener & whisk until dissolved.
- Add the garlic powder, red wine vinegar, & salad supreme while whisking the liquid in the measuring pitcher.
- Add about 11 oz of the creamy Italian dressing to the mixture in the 2-cup measuring pitcher filling it to the 2-cup line making 16 oz of salad dressing. Whisk to blend well and chill in the refrigerator about 2 hours before using.
- Notes: This dressing is delicious warm or cold as a dip for fresh cut veggies, makes a great dressing for green salads. It improves as the flavors blend the first day or two. Keeps well if stored in a sterilized jar, but it will disappear quickly. Play around with the recipe to make it your own and enjoy. I'm thinking this dressing would also be great for a boiled/broiled/grilled shrimp dipping sauce.