Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I created this rice dish one evening when I wanted something a little different to serve with some West Indies-style marinated pork (just tuna for me...). Saffron is always a hit with me, so I just started seasoning, chopping, squeezing and adding things to the rice until this citrusy little dish came out! It also goes well with chicken and seafood and chicken, and is delicious mixed with grilled veggies.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small lime, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 3 green onions, sliced (white and small part of green)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron
- black pepper (I like lots!)
- Saute rice briefly in olive oil until just turning golden.
- Add water, lime juice, orange zest, green onion, saffron and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover, then simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Salt to taste, fluff and serve!