Recipe by sunny_day
A variation from the classic paella. From Canadian Living magazine. When I make this dish, I choose to use chicken breast instead.
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate chicken legs at joint; sprinkle with 1/4 tsp each of the salt and pepper In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook chicken, turning once, for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and set aside.
- Drain fat from pan.
- Cook onions and garlic, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add paprika, turmeric, cayenne, and remaining salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and add along with juice to pan, stirring to scrape up brown bits.
- Add stock and rice; bring to boil.
- Return chicken to pan; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced and rice is just tender.
- Stir in red pepper and peas; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.