Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This bread has a wonderful crunch of sunflower seeds and a hint of orange flavor. The hearty loaf is terrific plain or toasted and slathered with butter or orange marmalade.
- 828.06-946.36 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.08 g package active dry yeast
- 118.29 ml milk
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml margarine or 29.58 ml butter
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 egg
- 14.79 ml finely shredded orange peel (set aside)
- 118.29 ml orange juice
- 158.51 ml shelled sunflower seeds
- melted margarine (optional) or butter (optional)
- honey (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, the 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, and the salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and margarine almost melts.
- Add to dry mixture in mixing bowl and add egg and orange juice.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in sunflower seeds, orange peel, and as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- Shape into a ball.
- Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface of dough.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease an 8x4x2-inch or 9x5x2-inch loaf pan.
- Shape dough into loaf; place in prepared pan.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (30 to 45 minutes).
- If desired, brush top with melted margarine or butter.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
- If necessary, cover with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent over.
- browning. Immediately remove from pan.
- Cool on wire rack. If desired, serve with honey. Makes 1 loaf (16 servings).
Nice crust and a tender inside crumb ~ though only a very slight orange flavor! Made with brown sugar, 2 1/2 cups bread flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten, and 1 teaspoon orange extract, along with the juice and zest ~ I wanted it very orangey! Preheated the oven to 400F, then baked eight little slashed loaves instead of a large loaf, at 375F for 18 minutes. Made for Spring Photo Tag 2012.