1/2 Photos of Sunflower Seed and Orange Bread
1 hr 5 mins
This bread has a wonderful crunch of sunflower seeds and a hint of orange flavor. The hearty loaf is terrific plain or toasted and slathered with butter or orange marmalade.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2-4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel (set aside)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- melted margarine (optional) or butter (optional)
- honey (optional)
- 1In a large mixing bowl combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- 2In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, the 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, and the salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and margarine almost melts.
- 3Add to dry mixture in mixing bowl and add egg and orange juice.
- 4Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly.
- 5Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- 6Using a wooden spoon, stir in sunflower seeds, orange peel, and as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- 7Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 8Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- 9Shape into a ball.
- 10Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface of dough.
- 11Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours).
- 12Punch dough down.
- 13Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- 14Meanwhile, grease an 8x4x2-inch or 9x5x2-inch loaf pan.
- 15Shape dough into loaf; place in prepared pan.
- 16Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size (30 to 45 minutes).
- 17If desired, brush top with melted margarine or butter.
- 18Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
- 19If necessary, cover with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent over.
- 20browning. Immediately remove from pan.
- 21Cool on wire rack. If desired, serve with honey. Makes 1 loaf (16 servings).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunflower Seed and Orange Bread
Serving Size: 1 (972 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2721.1
- Calories from Fat 765
- Total Fat 85.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 203.0 mg
- Sodium 1582.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 413.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.6 g
- Sugars 51.9 g
- Protein 78.9 g