Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Dense, rich, and textured. A regional bread of Bavaria.
Make and share this Sunflower Pumpernickel Rye (Bread Machine) recipe from Food.com.
1 1/2 pound loaf
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup medium rye flour or 1 cup dark rye flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons gluten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fast rising yeast (or 1 T. bread machine yeast) or 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast (or 1 T. bread machine yeast)
- 1⁄3 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 pound loaf
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups medium rye flour or 1 1⁄3 cups dark rye flour
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons gluten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon fast rising yeast (or 1 T. plus 1 t. bread machine yeast) or 1 tablespoon instant yeast (or 1 T. plus 1 t. bread machine yeast)
- 1⁄2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- Add the ingredients, except the sunflower seeds, in the pan according to the order in the manufacturer’s directions.
- Set crust on medium and program for the Basic or Whole Wheat cycle; press start.
- When the machine beeps or between Knead 1 and Knead 2, add the sunflower seeds.
- When the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack.
- Let cool to room temperature before slicing.