Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great for a potluck or family get together
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 3⁄4 lb cabbage, shredded
- 3⁄4 lb carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, combine oranges, pineapple, cabbage, carrots and sunflower seeds, mix lightly.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Pour over salad mixture, tossing to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour until well chilled.
Great salad, we had friends around for a barbecue and I had made this, great flavours and the crunch of the cabbage and sunflower seeds just gave it that little bit extra.
I made this for a bar b que today using a package of shredded cabbage. It was very easy to throw together. This was a nice change from the usual cole slaw that I make. The fruit, sunflower seeds and the lemon juice made a big difference in the taste. The only problem I had with this recipe occurred during step 2. The ingredient list doesn't show orange juice and doesn't tell how much to add to the rest of the ingredients. Since I didn't have any oranges or orange juice, I added about 3 tablespoons of the mandarin orange liquid from the can.
More in common with a typical fruit salad than a typical cole slaw, but still, very tasty.