Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Your kids will love this cute dish. If serving this to adults be sure to include the green chiles. I like to add a little chipotle chile, pickled jalapenos, and hot salsa to really give it some spice.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 30 ounces refried beans
- 1 1⁄8 ounces taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (your heat choice)
- 4 ounces sliced black olives
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 9 ounces Frito corn chips (Scoops)
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- sour cream (for garnish)
- sliced green onion (for garnish)
- Brown the ground beef in a large frying pan until browned.
- Add chopped onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning packet and 1/2 cup water, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add green chiles (if using), black olives, salsa, refried beans, Velveeta cheese and cilantro (if using).
- Simmer, and stir often until cheese is melted.
- Ladle about 1/2-1 cup of beef mixture into the middle of a pasta or soup bowl.
- Surround the meat mixture with the Frito Scoops to form the sunflower petals, with the ends just touching the meat mixture, to hold "petals" in place.
- Garnish with sour cream and green onions, if desired.