Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
Ok - this is one of those recipes that sounds questionable & becomes more appealing when the budget closes in. We used to make this a hundred years ago when we were in college on tight budgets... Time passed, the recipe was lost & today it showed up in an email from The Witchita Eagle! It's cheap, not entirely bad for you with the fresh vegies (& nuts) & tastes unbelievably good! LOL - am adding cabbage to the shopping list because mine in the garden are just too small! There was no serving size listed so I opted for 4 to 6 - you'll see. Awesome potluck or picnic dish - just mix vegies, ramen & dressing on site & serve.
- 1 cabbage, medium head shredded
- 2 green onions, minced
- 5 5⁄8 ounces ramen noodles, chicken flavored (2 packages in US)
- 3⁄4 cup sunflower oil (olive, peanut oils OK too)
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons sunflower seeds, hulled
- 1 cup almonds, toasted slivered
- Mix cabbage and green onions in a large bowl.
- Chill covered in refrigerator.
- Reserve Ramen noodles.
- In another bowl, combine flavor packets from noodles with oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Crush Ramen noodles.
- When ready to serve, add noodles, sunflower seeds and almonds to cabbage mixture. Add dressing. Mix well. Serve immediately.