Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe that I got off of an email group that I used to belong to. I don't remember the group. This is a wonderful bread and I make it often. I once forgot the sunflower seeds ( yes I actually forgot the sunflower seeds in Sunflower bread....I have 7 children) and it was still good. This makes a great sandwich bread. I suppose you could leave in the bread maker but I always use the dough cycle on my bread and finish it in the oven. I prefer the shape of bread baked in the oven.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds (I use raw)
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in bread pan according to manufacturer's suggestion.
- I set in on the dough cycle.
- Place in a sprayed bread loaf pan.
- Cover in let rise again in a dry warm place about 40 minutes or until double.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Slather with butter and enjoy.
- Tastes best with chicken salad!
Really good. Didn't have any powdered milk but it turned out great without it. Used the KA mixer to prepare dough: disssolved yeast in warm water and then stirred everything together in KA bowl. 4 minutes on speed 2 with dough hook. Took 25 minutes at 350 degrees in my oven. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I plan to make it many times!
Made for PAC Spring-09: So glad I chose this recipe, this was a totally differant type of bread from what I've done before and the whole family enjoyed it hot from the oven with butter as suggested and it was great. I did have to make in my KA as I don't have a bread machine, and used a mix of seeds including sunflower - other than those small things made exactly as listed and very easy directions and went together fast so a bread that can be made on short notice. The taste was slightly sweet and a heavy texture that we all enjoyed for a change. Think this would also be great used for grilled cheese sandwiches and think that's just what I'll do with it. Thanks Cooking Mom for a great recipe.