Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from greengiantfresh.com I am on a quest to find more vegetable recipes for my family.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄8 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces zucchini, in 1/4 inch slices
- 6 ounces crookneck yellow squash, in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In large skillet, cook bacon on medium heat until crisp. Reserve drippings in skillet. Remove bacon; drain on paper towels; Crumble and set aside.
- Add onion to bacon drippings and saute until soft and slightly golden. Remove onion and set aside. Reserve drippings in skillet.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, pepper, and salt in bowl. Dredge each piece of squash in cornmeal mixture covering both sides. Place on plate.
- Heat bacon drippings and canola oil on medium-high heat. Add enough yellow squash and zucchini slices to cover bottom of pan. Cook until centers and edges are brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain.
- Repeat until all squash is fried. Place in serving bowl; toss with onion and garnish with bacon pieces.
If you leave out the bacon/bacon grease, you are doing this recipe and yourself a disservice! Don't make the recipe. This is what makes the recipe. My mom always fried her squash in a cornmeal mix, and I seem to remember my Dad's mom cooking her's in bacon grease. This is absolutely wonderful! Growing up, I was taught to turn my squash from the grease once I saw it bubblying through the edges....so that is what I did, and these turned out perfedtly! I thought one zucchini and one yellow squash would be sufficient for a serving....but everyone was fighting for the last few bites. So delicious, everyone wanted more. Of course, I grew up in the age of eating "healthy" and haven't fried squash in a while.....well, after eating this, I'm taking the habit back up. A southern girl is going back to her roots, bacon grease and all! Thanks for confirming that old habits aren't always bad!
Very good! I have not had squash coated with cornmeal, just breadcrumbs and this was very light and crispy. Made as written and will be making again! Made for PRMR.
Lynn, you have just taken me back to my childhood! I remember making pan fried zucchini with my mom- we had those giants in the garden that you didn't know what else to do with, so we did the egg and breadcrumb treatment. It was such a treat for me, as my Dad didn't like zucchini- so we only made this a couple of times a year. This recipe is so much easier, with just the dredge in cornmeal and flour; and the texture is better, too. But I'd have to say that frying them in bacon grease really takes these over the top. Zucchini doesn't have much flavor on it's own, but add bacon, and you've got something special. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, as well as a wonderful side dish for my dinner!