Recipe by MadCity Dale
Sunday Supper for January 31, 2016, Sandwiches, Soups & Salads. Starting our 5th calendar year for the Culinary, Cultural & Community dinners. The 2016 will be on the5th Sunday of a Month that the appear. January 31, May 29, July 31 & October30, 2016. Serving from 4 to 6pm @ WPCRC.
- 6 onions, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 8 quarts fresh tomatoes (or 5-6 quarts of juice)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onion& celery.
- Place in large kettle w/ just enough water to keep them from burning.
- While this simmers, cut tomatoes (remove stems if not using strainer).
- Add to kettle& cook until tender.
- Place this all through Victorio strainer (or similar).
- Return to kettle.
- Add sugar& salt.
- Cream butter and flour together& mix thoroughly with two cups of COLD juice, until dissolved (or blend together in a blender), to avoid lumps of flour in the juice.
- Add butter/flour mixture to warmed tomato juice. (Add before it's hot, to avoid lumps of flour!).
- Stir well.
- Heat just until hot. (If it gets to a boil, it can make the flour lumpy).
- Just prior to boiling, turn off the burner. (It will continue to thicken as it cools.).