Recipe by MadCity Dale
This recipe is taken from the book "the ultimate GULLAH cookbook". The book is written to remember the folks from Coastal Carolina's low country of southeastern USA. This, along with BBQ ribs from the same book, are the featured entree for the Juneteenth Holiday at the Northside Farmers Market. The neat thing about these recipes are to easily change from one taste to another taste by changing one of the ingredients. Was lotsa fun to get the tastes I wanted. Too many ribs, I better get exercising again.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar, with red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy pot. Blend well.
- Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning or taste as desired. Cook for 10 more minutes. Do not boil and stir well.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Let sit in refrigerator overnight.
- Note: Vegan replace barbecue sauce with tomato sauce.
- Bring to room temperature before using.