6 hrs 30 mins
In 'The French Slow Cooker' by Michele Scicolone
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced (Yukon Gold)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens
- 3 -4 fresh thyme sprigs (or a pinch of herbes de provence)
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, blended with 2 T cool water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1Scatter potatoes and chopped garlic in a large slow cooker and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- 2Remove the neck and giblets from the chicken cavity; discard.
- 3Trim away any excess fat.
- 4Sprinkle the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Put the whole garlic cloves, thyme, and lemon halves inside the cavity and place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- 6Rub it all over with olive oil.
- 7Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours, or until the chicken is tender and the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh measures 165° on an instant-read thermometer.
- 8Remove the chicken and potatoes from the slow cooker and cut the chicken into serving pieces, reserving the lemon halves; cover and keep warm.
- 9Skim the fat from the pan juices.
- 10Place the chicken juices in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- 11Squeeze the lemon halves (carefully; they are hot) into the juices.
- 12Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened; stir in the butter.
- 13Drizzle the pan juices over the chicken; serve hot with the potatoes.
- 14*Note: may add vegetables like red onion, leeks, carrots, mushrooms, parsnips, rutabaga, or turnips with the potatoes.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunday Roast Chicken With Potatoes, Lemon, and Thyme
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 825.0
- Calories from Fat 476
- Total Fat 52.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 221.5 mg
- Sodium 206.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 53.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs