Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
In 'The French Slow Cooker' by Michele Scicolone
- 4 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced (Yukon Gold)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens
- 3 -4 fresh thyme sprigs (or a pinch of herbes de provence)
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, blended with 2 T cool water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Scatter potatoes and chopped garlic in a large slow cooker and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the neck and giblets from the chicken cavity; discard.
- Trim away any excess fat.
- Sprinkle the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the whole garlic cloves, thyme, and lemon halves inside the cavity and place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Rub it all over with olive oil.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours, or until the chicken is tender and the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh measures 165° on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove the chicken and potatoes from the slow cooker and cut the chicken into serving pieces, reserving the lemon halves; cover and keep warm.
- Skim the fat from the pan juices.
- Place the chicken juices in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Squeeze the lemon halves (carefully; they are hot) into the juices.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened; stir in the butter.
- Drizzle the pan juices over the chicken; serve hot with the potatoes.
- *Note: may add vegetables like red onion, leeks, carrots, mushrooms, parsnips, rutabaga, or turnips with the potatoes.