1/6 Photos of Sunday Roast Chicken With Apple and Herb Stuffing
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
With it's crisp skin, light, juicy stuffing of onion, apple, herbs, and lemon zest, and accompaniment of rich gravy,this is hard to beat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -5 sprigs parsley
- 3 -5 sprigs thyme
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, with giblets reserved for stock (recipe follows)
- 1/2 lemon, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 onion, sliced (optional)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened (or margarine)
Apple and Herb Stuffing
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs (or whole wheat, rye, etc.)
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- salt and black pepper
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups giblet chicken stock or 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1Make the apple and herb stuffing: Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion, and cook gently for a few minutes, until softened.
- 2Remove from the heat, leave to cool slightly, then stir in the apple, bread crumbs, egg,parsley, thyme, lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Leave to cool completely.
- 4Put the parsley and thyme sprigs into the cavity of the chicken, add the lemon and onion, if using, and season with black pepper.
- 5Truss the chicken if desired.
- 6Spoon the stuffing into the neck end of the chicken, secure the skin flap over the stuffing with a smalll skewer, and pat into a rounded shape.
- 7Put any leftover stuffing into a small ovenproof dish.
- 8Rub the softened butter over the chicken breast and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Place the chicken, breast side down, in a roasting pan.
- 10Cook in a 375* oven for about 1 1/2-2 hours.
- 11Turn the chicken over when lightly browned.
- 12Continue cooking, basting every 20 minutes.
- 13Cook any leftover stuffing with the chicken for the last 40 minutes of cooking time.
- 14Test the chicken: insert a skewer into the thigh-the juices will run clear when the chicken is cooked.
- 15Transfer to a warmed serving platter and keep warm while you make the gravy.
- 16Remove the stuffing from the neck cavity and transfer to a serving dish with any leftover stuffing.
- 17Carve the chicken and serve with the gravy.
- 18Gravy: Tilt the roasting pan, and spoon off all but 1 tbls.
- 19of the fat that rises to the surface, leaving behind the cooking juices.
- 20Put the roasting pan on top of the stove.
- 21Add the flour and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk or metal spoon to dissolve any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- 22Pour in the stock and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until the gravy thickens.
- 23Simmer for 2 minutes, then taste for seasoning.
- 24Strain into a warmed gravy boat and serve immediately.
- 25Giblet Stock: In a stockpot or large saucepan, cook the giblets until lightly browned.
- 26Stir in 1 quart water.
- 27Bring to a boil, skimming off any scum that forms on the surface.
- 28Add 1-2 quartered unpeeled onions, 1 chopped carrot, 1 chopped celery stalk, 1 bouquet garni, and a few black peppercorns.
- 29Simmer for about 1 hour.
- 30Cool, cover, and keep in the fridge for 3 days or freeze for 3 months.
- 31Strain before use.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunday Roast Chicken With Apple and Herb Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (603 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1108.5
- Calories from Fat 714
- Total Fat 79.4 g
- Saturated Fat 28.6 g
- Cholesterol 385.1 mg
- Sodium 599.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 78.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of