Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I got this recipe from Fix It and Forget It Recipes for Entertaining crockpot cookbook. This is really great chicken. My family loves this chicken. I used the juice from cooking the chicken to make the gravy. We serve this with mashed potatoes and carrots.
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon savory
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 roasting chicken
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock
- Combine seasoning mix ingredients in small bowl.
- Melt butter over high heat in skillet. When butter starts to sizzle, add chopped onions and peppers, and 3 tablespoons seasoning mix. Cook until onions are golden brown. Cool.
- Stuff cavity of chicken with cooled vegetables.
- Sprinkle outside of chicken with 1 tablespoon seasoning mix. Rub well.
- Place chicken in large slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on low 6 hours.
- Empty vegetable stuffing and juices into saucepan. Whisk in flour and 1 cup stock. Cook over high heat until thickened. Add more stock if you prefer a thinner gravy.
I would give this recipe a 30 if I could. Awesome. Everytime I make it I get rave reviews. I do make one change. Instead of using savory, I use lemon zest. Savory is expensive and I haven't found another recipie that calls for is so I just omit it. The lemon gives it a good kick. You will love this recipe.