Recipe by KissaMew
For safekeeping, from the instruction book that came with my model: KSC700OBO Kitchenaid Slow Cooker. This recipe is copied from the book. The Slow Cooker I have is a LARGE 7 quart rectangular/oval shape from JC Penney catalog. Nice for large groups and freezer meals. I seem to be the "Holiday" cook in my family! I believe small appliances are as important as large ones and invest accordingly for my needs.
Top Review by ElaineAnn
Holy cow! I think this is the best pot roast I've ever made. I followed the recipe as written and I wouldn't change a thing . The gravy had a slight BBQ taste to it, the veggies were delicious, and the leftovers the next day were even better! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe. Made for Fall 2009 PAC.
- 4 lbs boneless bottom round roast
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb parsnip, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄2 cup condensed beef consomme, plus
- 1⁄3 cup condensed beef consomme, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat roast dry with paper towels. Cut deep slits in surface of roast; insert garlic. Lightly salt and pepper meat. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add roast to drippings; cook 5 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown. Remove from heat.
- Place onions and celery in Slow Cooker ceramic pot. Place roast on vegetables; pour drippings over roast. Add bacon, potatoes, carrots, and parsnips. Sprinkle with marjoram and thyme. In medium bowl, combine tomato soup, 1/2 cup consomme, mustard, and vinegar. Pour over mixture in Slow Cooker. Cover and cook at LOW 8 to 10 hours, or until roast and vegetables are tender.
- Remove roast to cutting board. With slotted spoon, remove vegetables to serving bowl. Cover both to keep warm. In small bowl, mix flour and remaining 1/2 cup consomme. Stir into liquid in Slow Cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH about 10 minutes, or until thickened. Slice roast. Serve roast and vegetables with gravy.