Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I love juicy pot roast. Serve it with mashed potatoes. Reserve some of the juice from the roast and pour over your mashed potatoes. The best!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pepper
- 4 lbs approx chuck roast
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 -3 cups boiling water
- 4 carrots, cut in 2 inch pieces or 1 (12 ounce) bag baby carrots
- 6 -8 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed to 1 inch pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Kitchen Bouquet
- Salt and pepper meat and rub with flour.
- In Dutch Oven, saute onion and garlic in shortening until translucent, but not browned.
- Add meat and brown on both sides.
- Add water, carrots, beans, tomatoes, bay leaves, and Kitchen Bouquet.
- Cook on stove top over low heat, covered.
- Turn meat once during cooking.
- Add boiling water if meat becomes "uncovered".
- Cook 3 - 4 hours until meat is fall apart tender.
- May use crock pot. Be sure to adjust cooking time!