Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 20 mins
Make this in the morning and enjoy the rest of the day. Sunday was family night and every one was expected to be there unless they had a doctors note. No one ever missed the nights this was on the menu.
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 4 slices each
- Grease a 1 1/2 qt casserole.
- Lightly butter 4 bread slices and place buttered side down in a single layer, trimming to fit if necessary.
- Butter the remaining 8 slices, slice in half diagonally, put 2 halves, buttered sides together, to form a sandwich.
- Stand sandwiches, point side up, in a spoke fashion, over the bottom layer.
- Between each 2 sandwiches, stand a tomato slice against the side of the casserole.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together until well combined.
- Slowly pour the mixture to cover all bread surfaces.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or more.
- Bake in a preheated oven- 325 F- for 1 hour or until mixture feels firm when dish is shaken gently.