Recipe by Lorac
Make this in the morning and enjoy the rest of the day. Sunday was family night and every one was expected to be there unless they had a doctors note. No one ever missed the nights this was on the menu.
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 4 slices each
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 1 1/2 qt casserole.
- Lightly butter 4 bread slices and place buttered side down in a single layer, trimming to fit if necessary.
- Butter the remaining 8 slices, slice in half diagonally, put 2 halves, buttered sides together, to form a sandwich.
- Stand sandwiches, point side up, in a spoke fashion, over the bottom layer.
- Between each 2 sandwiches, stand a tomato slice against the side of the casserole.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together until well combined.
- Slowly pour the mixture to cover all bread surfaces.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or more.
- Bake in a preheated oven- 325 F- for 1 hour or until mixture feels firm when dish is shaken gently.