Recipe by Lennie
I must be getting forgetful; I can't remember if I tried this recipe or not -- being a mushroom lover, it sounds like something I would have tried. If you make it, let me know how it goes. It's from the Chili-Lovers' Cook Book and was submitted by Alice Adamson from Austin, Minnesota.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 1⁄2 lbs coarsely-ground ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven or large skillet, fry the beef, onion and garlic; drain off fat if necessary.
- Add mushrooms and salt, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Blend chili powder with 2 tbsp water and add to meat mixture.
- Add ketchup and consomme and heat to a boil.
- Blend corn starch with remaining water and add to meat; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add undrained beans and simmer 10 minutes more.