Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 lb bulk mild breakfast sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced cooked unpeeled red potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheese (half Cheddar, half Monterey Jack)
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- Grease a 2 1/2 to 3 quart baking dish with butter, oil, or cooking spray.
- Cube the bread and place in the dish in a single even layer.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, breaking it up with a spoon, until it is almost cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Drain off the fat.
- Layer the sausage over the bread, and top with the potatoes; sprinkle the cheese on top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard powder, salt, and black pepper to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and potatoes in the casserole.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook the casserole, preheat the oven to 350°.
- Bake the casserole until set and golden, about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
I have made this many times and it comes out perfectly! My family begs me to make it! It is a great dish to take to church breakfasts! When I've been in a hurry I have left the potatoes off and it is just as good !
I am incredibly disappointed in this recipe. I should have known, based on the times I have to cook other similar egg/bread casserole dishes, that 30 minutes was not nearly enough time to cook this dish and have it set up. I had it in there for an HOUR before it was done enough to be eaten, and even then it was still way too "wet". I'm guessing another couple slices of bread would have done the trick. Very irritating when you get up at 5 am to fix this for some very busy holiday workers and have it take over 30 minutes longer than anticipated and still doesn't set up right.